Monday, January 29, 2007

Garvey Geneology




Hi guys. First of all, great job Kevin. Second, I thought it would be fun to have a post about our own family geneology, or ancestry. As most of you know, the Garveys are Irish and immigrated to America during the potatoe famine. During the course of my research though, I dug up some extremely interesting facts. We are part of the O'Gairbhith clan, specifically the O'Gaairbhains. Our last name means, "One of Iron."


Now onto our crest. We actually have two, one of the Garvey family, and one of the O'Neils. They are both up top. The Garvey family motto is Morrior Invictus (written on the crest as Mirior due to a scribes error.) It means, Death before Defeat in Lattin. We are descended from Brian Garvey, who, according to my research, was the first one to adopt the name Garvey. His father was Eocha Moy Veagon, and was a minor king of Ireland.
During the Potatoe Famine, we moved to America, went through Ellis Island, and have lived here ever since.
P.S. Pictures of Mary Melinda are on their way.

3 comments:

becky said...

hold up.
who is this? tommy garvey or uncle tom? secondly, MARY MELINDA?! do we have a new one finally here?! and a girl?! hip, hip hooray!

K.P.G. said...

Way to go, Tommy! I love the Garvey geneology lesson. I didn't know all that. Thanks for correcting that lazy scribes' error. You da proverbial man. Keep the posts coming, cuz!

LaurenGarvey said...

where can I find a book wth a picture of the crest in it? Where did ou find the crest?